A multifunction printer, or MFP, is a hardworking device that replaces a number of single-use machines such as a copier, scanner or fax machine. With so many types, features and manufacturers to choose from it can be a bit overwhelming choosing the right MFP for your business.
Here is a list of questions to help you make the most of your MFP and reap the benefits of this innovative technology.
- What are my requirements? Determine which functions you’ll need your MFP to perform, average volumes for copying, printing, faxing, and scanning, and how many users it will need to serve.
- What is the total cost of operation? Don’t forget to factor in the cost of consumables such as toner and paper, energy usage, maintenance and repairs.
- What type of support is available? Is the vendor or manufacturer committed to providing robust fleet and device management utilities and tools? What is the average response time for support?
- Is the device capable of multitasking? Can the MFP perform more than one task at a time? In the event that users need to wait to access one function until another has completed, productivity can suffer.
- How hard is it to use? Ease of operation helps to prevent bottlenecks, increasing the rate of production.
- What are it’s communication capabilities? Effective communication between users and administrators is imperative, both at the device and across the network to effectively predict, prevent, and troubleshoot any issues.
- Can I connect the MFP to my existing network? Consider how easily and effectively your new device will integrate with your existing network, and what options are provided for upgrades or support.
- How secure is the device? Keep your confidential data from falling in to the wrong hands, with robust security solutions that are scale-able in the event your needs should change.