Print costs are high on the list of operating expenses for the average business, following closely behind rent and payroll. Not knowing just how much your organization spends on printing, or how many printers are in your fleet, is a sign that costs may be out of control; but a comprehensive print assessment can help. Once you have a clear picture of inventory and expenses, you can begin to implement the necessary changes to increase productivity, reduce costs and streamline document workflow; here’s how.
Print Assessment Tips
It may surprise you to learn that close to 90 percent of organizations have no idea what their true cost of printing is, and that when asked how many printers were in their fleet, IT leaders miscalculated by an astonishing 70 percent. A print assessment is the first step towards a more efficient print environment. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Sketch out a map of your office environment, breaking it down into reasonable sized areas.
- Walk through each section or department, making a note of each printer, scanner, multifunction device, or copier and where they’re located.
Once you have an accurate accounting of your devices, it’s time to ask yourself some questions:
- How many different brands of print equipment do you have? The more brands you own, the greater your consumable inventory needs to be. Better deals can often be had by consolidating manufacturers.
- What is the ratio of users per device? Are some printers being over, or underutilized?
- How far do people have to walk to reach the nearest printer? Printer placement can either hamper, or speed up productivity.
- How many personal desktop printers are in use? Small, “bargain” printers typically have higher operating costs, including energy and consumables.
Choose Your Partner
Whether you need assistance to perform a print assessment, or are unsure of what to do with the information once you have it, a professional Managed Print Services (MPS) provider can help. Implementing a few simple changes can add up to big savings, making your print environment more efficient and cost effective. Contact us to learn more!