Did you know that printing can cost as much as three percent of your annual revenue? Yet 90% of businesses don’t have any print controls in place and don’t keep track of their print costs. In fact, the print environment is one of the last unaudited areas for most companies.
By taking just a few simple steps you can keep your print costs from spiraling out of control. Here are some tips to help you get your print environment under control.
- Change the Settings – This is one of the easiest ways to immediately begin lowering your costs. For example, simply defaulting your print device to double-sided printing will immediately cut your paper use significantly. Printing documents in “draft” mode will lower toner use. Also, limiting the use of color printing to documents where it’s absolutely necessary can save money.
- Limit Your Paper Choices – Having inkjet paper, laser paper, heavyweight paper and other specialty papers can often result in more waste and higher costs. For example, print everyday jobs on a multipurpose paper, which is less expensive. To prevent waste, keep specialty papers boxed and away from the device.
- Set Up Rules, Permissions, and Protocols – It’s probably a safe bet that your accounting team doesn’t need to print in color, while your marketing department may need to on a daily basis. Creating permissions and protocols can significantly reduce waste and costs. You can monitor users to better analyze areas where you can cut additional costs.
- Embrace the Paperless Office – Going digital can save you time and money. By scanning documents to the cloud, digitizing invoices, receipts and other paper documents, and creating searchable, sharable files you’ll not only cut print costs, but you’ll also reduce storage needs, freeing valuable office space.
- Replace Inefficient Equipment – Old, outdated devices consume more energy, generate repair costs, costing you both time and money. Upgrading to new energy efficient devices that use less toner, can quickly pay off.
Partnering with a Managed Print Services provider can help you lower costs throughout your entire print environment. By taking a comprehensive approach, an MPS provider can help you to improve workflows, increase productivity and significantly reduce costs.
Ready to learn more? Give us a call and let us show you how Managed Print Services can lower your print costs, improve your productivity and help you to grow your business.