Paper and business have long been synonymous, used in nearly every type of business process and across every type of industry for over a century. With the latest trend towards a more sustainable approach to business operations and daily living, paper usage is being phased out in a number of applications—and more organizations are reaping the benefits of a paperless office environment. If you’re considering making the switch and reducing or eliminating your reliance on paper we can help with some tips to make the process easier and help you achieve your goals.
The Advantages of Going Paperless
In addition to the environmental benefits, there are a number of other advantages to going paperless including:
- Cost savings – Save money on paper, toner, maintenance and storage space.
- Less clutter – Chances are there is paper on most surfaces in your office.
- Increased efficiency – Find documents faster when they are stored and indexed in the cloud.
- Ease of collaboration – Communications are enhanced between colleagues and clients when documents may be accessed at any time, from anywhere there is an Internet connection.
- Disaster recovery – During a catastrophic event such as a fire or flood paper documents can be permanently destroyed, but when backed up on a routine basis electronic documents can be recovered quickly and easily.
Tips for a Paperless Office
This process can be made easier by implementing a series of small changes, rather than trying to achieve a paperless office overnight. Tips for success include:
- Embrace the cloud. Once documents are digitized they can be stored securely in the cloud and indexed for fast, easy retrieval. Cloud applications such as Evernote, PayPal, and Google Docs help users to share and manage their files online.
- Switch to online banking. Pay bills and manage your finances online, by opting out of receiving paper invoices and statements in favor of electronic communications.
- Use electronic signatures. Digitally signed documents are legally binding and save time, money, and resources.
- Update your environment. Once document storage and paper clutter is eliminated, you can use your new found square footage to improve the appearance and functionality of your office.
- Get scanning. Scan all incoming documents going forward and convert them to digital format.
- Measure your success. Determine your savings potential by calculating your current cost of printing. A Managed Print Services provider can help with a comprehensive print assessment.
Contact us today to learn more!