If you can’t print the document you need, when you need it, you have a problem. The fact is, today’s office machines are complex technologies combining software, and hardware to print, scan, fax and copy. As we all know, sometimes gremlins get into the machine and create havoc!
The good news is, many common print problems are caused by the incorrect use of the equipment and are easy to resolve. Here are some common printing problems and quick fixes to get you back to work.
Problem: Documents Take Too Long To Print
Fix: High-resolution jobs print more slowly. Try choosing a lower resolution like “Standard” or “Draft.” Complex images also take longer to print than straight text. Printers have minimal memory. If this is a recurring issue, try adding RAM to speed up the process.
Fix: Paper jams happen; here are a couple of quick tips:
- Where is it Located? – The printer control panel will tell you where the jam is.
- Use the Right Stock– Make sure you are using the weight of paper supported by your device.
- Open the Paper Tray and Fan the Paper – This removes static electricity which can cause sheets to cling together and jam your printer.
- Use the Paper Guides – Keep the paper straight so it will properly feed into the machine.
- Check the Paper Path – Make sure that there are no staples or paper clips and remove anything that shouldn’t be there.
Problem: Poor Print Quality
Fix: Print quality is often driver or paper related. Make sure you’re using the proper paper. Check your driver to make sure it is properly updated. Make sure the fuser is adjusting properly if not, check the manual for a fix. Quality check the toner cartridge, imaging unit, and the fuser. If none of these tips work, give us a call.
When in doubt, check to see if everything is plugged in properly then shut it down and reboot the machine. Check the network cable; if it’s a WiFi device make sure the WiFi is turned on and connected. Every machine has its own special quirks. Keep the manual handy for each device.
If you still can’t get your printer to work, let the person responsible know – if that’s you, give us a call. We’re always here and happy to help!